Monday, July 23, 2007

Sid

I've always been a John Wayne Fan. I love his Westerns mostly. So here I was standing outside Sid Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood, California and wondering why John Wayne's feet were so small. I mean really tiny. Like fall over when you take a step small. I couldn't believe it. On the screen he looked ten feet tall.



That's a big part of the appeal at Grauman's Chinese Theater. Reading the inscriptions and seeing the size of the celebrities hands and feet. Really. Of course, the interior is Hollywood glamorous but the action is outside where the crowds gather and with the crowds all manner of street entertainers. It's like a circus. Freddy vs Jason. Superman and Wonder Woman. Charlie Chaplin and Captain Jack Sparrow. What a hoot-a-nanny.

But Sid Grauman would be pleased I think. The Showman who invented Hollywood would appreciate the hubbub outside his theater where movie premiers and special events still pack'em in. As John Wayne said, "Sid, there are not enough words."

No comments: