Monday, August 20, 2007

Among Giants


I'm told that larger trees exist. Hard to imagine.
I didn't know what to expect as we traveled by bus on the Muir Woods- Sausalito tour in San Francisco, California. We arrived at a plain parking lot with a simple entrance to the Muir Woods National Monument. The driver told us to return in about 90 minutes for the trip to Sausalito. I almost missed the bus.
Once you walk down the path and leave the crowds behind you are transported to a primitive world of light and shadow. The Redwoods jut up out of the black soil and compete with each other for sunlight. Every now and then, a human, standing and staring at the majesty of this forest. Massive, splendid and rare.
A small creek dances down the middle of the paths and plays background music for us. Lush ferns carpet the ground while chipmunks scamper in and out. Light filters through thick branches to show the way. I almost missed the bus.
All the way to Sausalito my mind kept returning to Muir Woods. I couldn't stop thinking about it. That night I dreamed of sacred places and spiritual journeys. That night I slept in Muir Woods.

No comments: