Tuesday, March 13, 2007

"I am Dracula, and I bid you welcome . . . "


"There are such beings as vampires, some of us have evidence that they exist. Even had we not the proof of our own unhappy experience, the teachings and the records of the past give proof enough for sane peoples." - Bram Stoker
New Orleans, Louisiana is a perfect setting to talk about Vampires. When I signed up for Haunted History's Vampire Tour I didn't know what to expect. Would a "Vampire" lead the tour? Could I expect Vampires leaping out of the shadows to attack me? Did I have enough garlic?
My fears fluttered into the night as our guide greeted us in front of St. Louis Church dressed in regular clothes and no sharp teeth. This was not too theatrical and very interesting. We learned about the history of Vampires in lore, legend, literature and film. We visited sites where the movie "Interview with a Vampire" was filmed. We heard tales of New Orleans incidents that many consider evidence that vampires do exist.
In the end, I was entertained, delighted and just a little creeped out. I started back to my hotel alone as a light mist of rain started. Could Vampires be real I thought turning down Pirate's Alley? Really, some of the local stories were very disturbing. Shadowy figures, unsolved murders, dark alleys...then I heard the footsteps behind me.

No comments: