Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Kilroy was here


My Father served as a Marine in World War II.
My Mother was a "Rosie the Riveter" building planes for Airco during the war. They never spoke much about it but I knew they were proud to serve their country.
That is why the National World War II Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana meant so much to me. It helped me to understand that time in my parents lives and in America's history. It is an important place to visit.
You can't miss the location on Magazine Street right across from a huge mural of the American Flag raising at Iwo Jima. My Uncle Bob was laying communication lines down the other side of the hill when they were raising that flag behind him.
Inside the lobby a great collection of vehicles big and small for land, air and sea are on display. The main building tells the story of World War II from start to finish in vivid detail. There are warnings that some exhibits are not suitable for children. The story must be told, though.
Many Veterans are there. Some rubbing their eyes. Others stand squeezing the hand of the person next to them. Most are alone and silent, taking in the exhibits. I think of my parents and the reality of War. The times that forged their personalities. The experiences that changed their lives. I feel that I understand them better now. Kilroy was indeed here.

No comments: